How to Craft Winning Email Subject Lines
I think we're all now in agreement that not only is email marketing not dead in 2014, in many ways it's a growing and vibrant channel for sales and lead generation. The latest email ROI figure is that for every $1 spent, over $43 is returned. Not bad!
And what's the best way to get your emails read? By creating an email subject lines that compels the viewer to take the next step and open it!
Tips for creating effective email subject lines
- Keep it brief - A shorter email subject line is the order of the day, anywhere between 15-40 characters, as not only does it make for a quick scan, it stands a better chance of being seen in its entirety on a mobile device, where over 51 percent of emails are opened now.
- Don't use spam words - There are a number of words that automatically trip the spam filters, sending your missive to the spam pile before it's read. Words like “free”, “credit”, “offer”, “act now”, and all caps are bound to get negative results. A good list of spam words can be found here.
- Use calls to action - Using action words in your email subject line, like “Watch my new software in action”, instruct the reader to the action you'd like them to take.
- Use questions - Questions have a two-fold benefit of piquing curiosity and supplying you with much-needed customer information.
- Don't over-personalize - It's one thing to thank a customer by name for an action they've taken; and it's another to repeatedly treat them as pals in sales message after sales message.
- Be specific - Let them know what this is about! Be very specific and don't make them guess. Nobody has time or energy to try and guess what you're saying.
Don't forget that the only reason for email subject lines in the first place is to get them to open the rest of the email. Make it easier for them by creating terrific subject lines, and watch your open rate soar!
If you need help generating leads, please call us. We have an excellent lead generation program where we pay for all your advertising expenses and take all the risk for you. You only pay when you get results. This is a massive undertaking and understandably we're limited in how many companies we can help at any one time. If you're interested and find the program paused or not available, just leave your details and we'll let you know when it re-opens.